Sunday, July 10, 2011

Giving Some Old Yarn Some New Life

Recently, my dear Grandma left behind a great stash of fabric and yarn that my aunt generously suggested that I rummage through in case I found something to keep.  What a stash!  I probably returned home with a carload of fiber, and that just a bite of the apple!  The yarn may be 20-30 years old, a tad musty, but it is 100% wool, in colors I would wear, and handy for sweaters.  How nice would it be to make a keepsake out of Grandma's yarn?!  I couldn't believe that each skein was marked about a dollar each!  There's no way I could buy eight skeins of wool yarn for less than ten dollars these days.  While the yarn smells a bit stale, I'm set on saving this yarn. After felting a few in the washer, I found some suggestions online that recommended rewinding the skeins into hanks and soaking them.

So, I flipped a chair over and wound the yarn around and around...


Secured the hanks with yarn...


Added some Eucalan wool rinse from the LYS...


and now the yarn is soaking in the tub overnight...


Hopefully, it smells better in the morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment